A happy hello to you all!

This is a monumental post for me! My last post was back on September 8th 2013!!
It's been an epic four year break from blogging. I wonder what got the better of me? My guess is that parenting became a whole lot more challenging and I remember we took a giant leap of faith and moved to Mullumbimby. I guess I couldn't do it all.

My son is now six, and he is thriving and I am back teaching Visual Art & Media at a local High School and gently nudging the creative muse as I balance this life.

I really look forward to igniting the fire within and sharing some of my art journey with you again like I used to! It's been a year long hiatus from making art, however, it wasn't out of choice, I just wasn't inspired.


Has this ever happened to you? Having a lack of inspiration to be creative? I've come to the conclusion that this is a normal part of the process and of living. It's okay. The circle will come back around again and everything will be alright. One thing for certain is I have been in need of golden repair. I recently stumbled across the Japanese term Kintsugi which means "golden joinery". It is the Japanese art of repairing broken pottery with gold lacquer. What I love about the philosophy of Kintsugi is that the objects in all their imperfections, with their cracks and experiences of a life lived become even more beautiful and treasured. The breakage and repair becomes part of the object and is not treated as a disguise. So, it's about celebrating the fact that we become who we are from these breakages. We grow in beauty - an important self discovery.



 Kintsukuroi (n.) (v. phr.) – “to repair with gold”; the art of repairing pottery with gold or silver lacquer and understanding that the piece is more beautiful for having been broken.


Sculpture by Paige Bradley 


Sculpture by Paige Bradley 


There have been quite a few conceptual links with myths and stories, and metaphors to my art making. I recently began painting in gold ink as a metaphor to seek relaxation and positive thoughts. I used gold pigment in a piece called 'Let it go', made in 1999. 




I feel the circle has made it's way back around. Eighteen years later I find myself fascinated with gold paint and of course I am currently reflecting on the meaning of it becoming part of my practice again. So far I have thought about the idea of I L L U M I N A T I O N and I have come to the realisation thanks to Dr Clarissa Pinkola Estes that it is possible to ignite the burnt ember and bring about a thriving flame.








Comments

Popular posts